Simple primer

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Kokatha man
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Simple primer

Post by Kokatha man » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi - I just lost what I was attempting to post so I'll start again! I'm looking for a simple "How-to for dummies" primer that takes you through the step by step process of setting up and running PHd for autoguiding.....I have an HEQ5 Pro synscan goto mount with autoguide (ST4 compatible) port and a new (haven't used it yet!) Shoestring GPUSB unit.

Apart from realizing that the unit's usb plug goes into my lappy (running Windows XP) and that one end of the RJ12 cable plugs into the unit and the other end into the mount's autoguide port.....and I've downloaded PHD.....I'd like to be able to access a step-by-step guide to setting EVERYTHING up and calibrating etc for someone severely pc-challenged....!

I'll be running a toucam 840k as the guidecam in my Orion Shorty g/scope.....the webcam is modded for either "normal" or "long exposure" modes.....which do I use and which is best.....and are there different setup/calibrating procedures for one or the other....?

How will I know whether I need to adjust the backlash setting of the mount's gears during trialling.....and what other factors should I consider....?

I know it's a tall order but some sort of compendium on all the steps to hook up and start autoguiding would be mighty handy if it's out there on the net somewhere....!

I have only ever employed hand-corrected guiding using the guidecam's image projected onto the lappy screen with a reticle overlay.....I figure it's about time for me to use the Shoestring gear I purchased new last year....!

Most gratefull for any assistance that can be rendered.