FCUSB and Imageplus problem

Questions about hardware and software not obtained from Shoestring Astronomy, but related to our products
dradford
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

FCUSB and Imageplus problem

Post by dradford » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:06 am

Have imageplus camera control 4.0 and meade microfocuser.
Focuspal works fine.
However trying to get focus control through image plus, After loading FCusb_ascom driver this is vissible as an option when starting the focus tab but after setting it wil not conect and states the FOcus is not Absolute.
Any suggestions

Don

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: FCUSB and Imageplus problem

Post by dpanderson » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 am

The ASCOM standard allows for two types of focusers: absolute and relative. Since the FCUSB drives focus motors that have no encoders on them, it cannot be aware of the absolute position of the focuser. Thus the ASCOM driver for the FCUSB is written as a relative focuser. It sounds like ImagesPlus only allows for absolute focusers, I'm not sure why. You might lobby with Mike Unsold to add relative focuser capability to ImagesPlus, or give Nebulosity from www.stark-labs.com or some other software a try.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

dradford
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: FCUSB and Imageplus problem

Post by dradford » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 am

Hi Doug
Thanks for your reply.
I found some discussion on this at the Imageplus forum and Mike did leave a comment in 3/10 that he would try to " add support for the Shoestring FCUSB this summer when I
> > > get
> > > > > back to
> > > > > > > > camera control."

Don