Focusmaster Windows 10 Drivers

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
knotabyte
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Focusmaster Windows 10 Drivers

Post by knotabyte » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi, I have not been successful getting windows 10 to recognize the FCUSB box. Do you have any instructions for Windows 10? It works fine on XP. I have tried updating the HID driver with no success. The driver messages indicate that it was not able to migrate.

Thanks

knotabyte

Re: Focusmaster Windows 10 Drivers

Post by knotabyte » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:12 pm

As an update, Windows 10 is running on a Microsoft surface 4, it has about 20 HID's setup by default.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 pm

We have many customers running on Windows 10 without trouble, so there must be something unique about your setup that is causing the issue. The FCUSB will ask that it is provided with 100mA of supply current from the USB port, so I am wondering if perhaps the Surface is not capable of providing this since it is probably designed to be a low power product. The focuser might need this much current, so that is why it is demanded from the port. You might see if your Surface has at least one port that can provide 100mA. You might also try a non-Surface device that is running Windows 10. Another option is to try running through a powered USB hub to see if that makes a difference.

This is just conjecture on my part at this time, so it might take trying a few options to see if we can find a successful combination.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

knotabyte

Post by knotabyte » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Ok, i tried another desktop computer, same issue. Both were usb3. Pluged in a wired usb2 hub to the usb3 and the focusmaster and we blew out Q4 on the focusmaster. That didn't work out very well.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:10 pm

USB3 is backward compatible with earlier USB revisions. I don't think that should have any effect.

Q4 on the Focusmaster or the FCUSB?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com