Connecting to a Orion motor

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
AndyNC

Connecting to a Orion motor

Post by AndyNC » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:42 pm

I have a Orion motor and it has a Phone type jack on it. Is there a adapter cord or a connection configuration to make my own.

Thanks AN

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:07 pm

What type of focuser is it, or which telescope did it come with? I searched the Orion website some, but couldn't zero in on the information I need to help you out.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:32 am

We now sell an adapter cable that allows the FCUSB to work with the Orion AccuFocus motor. It is our part number FCCBL-01.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

Ozy

Re:

Post by Ozy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:50 pm

dpanderson wrote:We now sell an adapter cable that allows the FCUSB to work with the Orion AccuFocus motor. It is our part number FCCBL-01.
Hi Doug,

I own the TeleVue Focusmaster, which is obviously made by you. The software is a simple rebrand! I love it. I'm so glad you got that business, your other products I own are great too. I am trying to make a set of custom cables to wire the Focusmaster through my Paramount ME, but I need to know the wire diagram of the 4P4C connector. Since the TV Focusmaster has a 4P4C connector yet your FSUSB is a 1/8" plug, I need to know what pins do what. I would also like to know the current draw. I'm assuming since it's USB powered, it couldn't be more than 5v @ 500mA.

Also, on the micrometer connection, do you know the pin out also? I need to know if I need more than standard 3wire or if there is more going on than that. Since the device pulls power from the serial port, I'm thinking pin 9 may be used also.

Thanks so much for your help.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Connecting to a Orion motor

Post by dpanderson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 pm

For the 1/8" connector into the FCUSB and naming the three terminals ring, tip, and shield, the motor is connected between tip and shield. Ring is left unconnected. Fro the 4P4C connector to the motor, pins 1 and 2 connect together and go to one side of the motor, pins 3 and 4 connect together and go to the other side.

For the DB9 connector to the micrometer, pin 2 is data out of the micrometer, pin 3 is data in, pin 5 is ground, pin 7 is the negative supply, and pin 9 is the positive supply.

I don't know the exact current draw for the motor, but it is less than 100mA.

Glad to hear that you have enjoyed using our products!
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy