Any way to bump voltage up to 9V? 12V?

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Phil21841
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Any way to bump voltage up to 9V? 12V?

Post by Phil21841 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:38 am

Hello,

Been using FCUSB 1 & 2 with Orion motors (9V battery) for a couple years now. Not a problem until I put a filter wheel and a SBIG camera on it, adding more weight. At certain angles, it won't move forward (which happens to be my 'Park' position). But, at other angles it works adequately enough.

with the 9V battery plugged into the motor, it will move fine. But, the 5V USB power (2.1 amp per connector usb hub) doesn't have enough power. Any way to "UP" the voltage with your module?

Sincerely,

Phil

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Any way to bump voltage up to 9V? 12V?

Post by dpanderson » Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Phil,

I do have a product that I never released called the FCBoost. It connects between the output of the FCUSB and the focus motor and uses a 9V battery to boost the voltage going to the focuser. Email me at doug@shoestringastronomy.com if you want pricing and ordering instructions.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

calan

Post by calan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:23 pm

I have the same issue. Hanging a Mallincam under the scope, my JMI focuser can no longer lift it when driven by FCSUSB through a powered USB hub.

Phil21841

Post by Phil21841 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Calan,

I would highly recommend that you purchase Doug Anderson's FCBoost! Mine didn't come with connecting cable, though. So, make sure that you verify before hand. Otherwise, focusing problems solved!

Sincerely,

Phil

calan

Post by calan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Is there a link to it somewhere? I'd like to know a little more about it. (And of course the price. My fundage is severely limited at the moment).

calan

Post by calan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:44 pm

You know what would be extremely cool.... is if FCSUSB had a 12v input port so it could just boost it internally. And maybe an internal micro dip switch to select 5, 9, or 12v. ;) ;)

Phil21841

Post by Phil21841 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Calan,

I am sure that Doug has seen your post, as he is the moderator.

Otherwise, you can click on his name, in the above postings, and then click on 'send private email'.

When he gets the time, he will provide you with cost, email address for paypal payment, and he will ship them out to you. (I had to purchase 2 of them). He also sent them out very promptly! Make sure you ask about getting appropriate cable/s, as well.

I would love to see different voltage options/inputs on this product. But, I can also see the issues with providing those options. The way that it is setup, currently, and providing the option for FCBoost, I believe, keeps those 'potential' issues at bay.

Once you get the FCBoost, you can take the wires, for the 9 volt battery, and utilize them for a 12 volt source, if you choose. That was my plan, as I have some relatively heavy equipment mounted on my 2 focusers. But, I was able to tighten up the slide screws and still have plenty of power just utilizing the 9 volt battery.

My focusers work sooooo much better now!!! I can now get my HFR (Half Flux Radius) down to 1.3 - 1.9 in less than 5 min before setting up imaging sessions!

Sincerely,

Phil

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:47 pm

Calan,

Phil has done a great job of describing the product. It is not a product we offer through the website, so please Private Message me if you would like to order one.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

calan

Post by calan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 am

Doug,

I emailed you a few days ago, and my PM to you here seems to be perpetually stuck in the outbox. :)

- Craig

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Your email didn't show up in my inbox, but I have replied to your PM. Apologies, the past few days have been busy.

Thanks,
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy