JMI PCFC not working on Windows 7

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Bill

JMI PCFC not working on Windows 7

Post by Bill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am

Hi,

Just recently got a 64bit Dell Precision running Windows 7 Ultimate. I am attempting to migrate my programs from a 32 bit machine with Win XP and have encountered
a problem running the JMI PCFC software on the new machine. The software seems to install OK but when exercising any of the buttons that make the focus motor run, the
program becomes unresponsive after a very short while. This can leave the motor running without any way to shut it off. Also, at times, it seems to loose knowledge of
the control box through the HID port and reports 'No PCFC Adapter Found' or something to that affect. I have also notice that the control box is not identified as
'JMI PCFC Focus Controller' like it is on the 32 bit machine. I suspect that the problem is with the HID driver but other than that I have no clue. Also have tried different
windows compatibility modes with no success and I am 99% sure that it is not a hardware issue. The same setup works fine in the old 32 bit computer. Appreciate any
help at all. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? Has anyone else used a different HID driver than MS's to get there FCUSB/JMI PCFC to work?

Thanks!

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: JMI PCFC not working on Windows 7

Post by dpanderson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi Bill,

I've run the FCUSB on Windows 7, but not Ultimate, and Windows 8 without trouble myself. At this point I have no idea what the problem might be, and am not able to duplicate the problem. This is not a widely read forum, so you might try some posts on more popular sites like Cloudy Nights or Astromart if you don't get a hit here. And if you do get it working, please post a follow-up to let us know the solution.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com