FOCUSB and StarlightXpress USB interface

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
girofica

FOCUSB and StarlightXpress USB interface

Post by girofica » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:54 am

In the past I've used a GPUSB interface, but his software driver was making conflict whit my MX716 USB interface(HID conflict). :x I've sold the GPUSB.
Now I would try a FOCUSB, but I'm afraid this device uses the same generic HID driver.
Anyone have already used a FOCUSB and StarlightXpress USB interface without problems?
Mimmo

Knorbert

Re: FOCUSB and StarlightXpress USB interface

Post by Knorbert » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 am

Hi,

I have recently bought an FCUSB, and I run it with Maxim DL plus an MX716 with USB1.1 interface.

I find that I have to connect to the MX716 in Maxim BEFORE I plug in the FCUSB. They do seem to work once you follow this setup on my PC. I'm yet to find out why Maxim can't connect to the camera if the FCUSB is plugged in, and am aiming to try testing on another PC to see if it is a quirk of my observatory PC.

I haven't got FCUSB combined with my Skywatcher focus motor to autofocus with Maxim, but I've just downloaded Focusmax to see if this works - I suspect Maxim can't cope with the simple non-reference Skywatcher motor, which I'm hoping Focusmax will...

Cheers

Mark

girofica

Post by girofica » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

I Mark
I suspect a HID device conflict in windows XP, I had other bad experiences in the past. Try to connect only the Focusb and set maxim as "relative" in the popup window: I think the focuser will work .
Let me know
Cheers
Mimmo

Knorbert

Post by Knorbert » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:45 am

Hi Mimmo,

I think you may have misunderstood - FCUSB works OK with Maxim DL, but the default autofocus routine in Maxim does not appear to cater for my unreferenced focus motor - I think the V curve philosophy of Focusmax will sort this issue out.

FCUSB works in Maxim DL with my MX716 fine, as long as I connect to the MX716 BEFORE I plug the USB cable for the FCUSB into a suitable port. There may well be an issue with the HID set-up, but I think it probably has more to do with Maxim than it does with anything else.

If I connect both MX716 and FCUSB to USB ports, and then use the SX software and the focus tester software from Shoestring, I do not have problems connecting to either device in any order and getting them to work fine.

At the moment Cyanogen are doing the old shrugged shoulder routine...

Best regards

Mark

Knorbert

Post by Knorbert » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 am

A follow-up to my previous posts...

FCUSB works absolutely fine with Maxim DL and when using an MX716 on USB1.1 interface. You just need to use ONLY the SX Universal driver in Maxim (when Windows looks for the drivers for the new device 'ECHO2', they are in Maxim programme file folder 'INF').

There is no HID conflict and the USB port reading by Maxim is now working as it should and my MX716 and FCUSB sit happily side by side.

Hope this is useful for anyone who uses the same kit as me.

Cheers

Mark